Minimum Requirements

  • 2.0 GPA in certificate courses
  • At least 50% of certificate courses taken in-residence (i.e. at UW-Madison or through a UW-Madison sponsored study abroad program)
  • Minimum of 16 credits total

Core Courses

Select two of the following:

Agroecology/Agronomy/C&E Sociology/ Entomology/Environmental Studies 103 Agroecology: An Introduction to the Ecology of Food and Agriculture
C&E Sociology/Agricultural & Applied Economics/ Sociology 340 Issues in Food Systems
Dairy Science/Agronomy 471 Food Production Systems and Sustainability

Elective Courses

Select one course from each category for a total of 9 credits:

  • Provisioning (production, processing, distribution)
  • Context (policy, economics, law, society)
  • Values (nutrition, equity, environment)

See guide page for complete list of courses.

Culminating Activity

Complete an activity outside of a formal classroom setting in which you gain a significant experience in Food Systems. This activity may take different forms, such as a directed research, internship, leadership role in student organizations (e.g., FH King Students for Sustainable Agriculture, Slow Food UW, Campus Food Shed),  service learning (e.g., Morgridge Center Internship, ASM Leadership Internship) or contribution of food system aspects to senior capstone project. In all cases, the activity must cut across or integrate multiple aspects of food systems.

Such activities must be formally pre-approved and incorporated into an independent study (299) or internship (399) within the Department of Community and Environmental Sociology.  The form to request approval of a culminating activity is HERE. If you’re ready to submit your request, complete the Culminating Activity Approval Form. Students must submit this request a minimum of two weeks before the semester begins. If approved, students will receive permission to enroll in an appropriate section of the 299 or 399 noted above.

*Note: This undergraduate certificate must be completed concurrently with the student’s undergraduate degree. Students cannot delay degree completion to complete the certificate.